|
Home | Airshows | The Hangar | Nostalgia | Links |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Gary Parsons reports on Sweden's recent mini-invasion of Jersey, some 1,100 years after their Norwegian and Danish counterparts. Photography by the author and Andrew Hare Jersey has a very interesting history. Constantly a source of debate between the English and the French for many centuries, in the middle ages it was occupied by the Vikings, much as most of the British Isles and the coasts of France and Spain. These Vikings were from Norway and Denmark, Swedish Vikings setting out across the Baltic Sea into Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia. The islands
came under the control of Rollo (c.860 - c.932), who was the founder and
first ruler of the Viking principality that became known as Normandy when,
in 911, Rollo took control of Caen. In 933 Rollo's son, William Longsword,
added the islands to the Dukedom of Normandy and In 2006 it was finally the turn of the Swedes to invade, albeit in a friendly way as the Swedish Air Force sent its historic J-29 Tunnan and the Eskilstuna Flygplats Museum its ex-Swiss Air Force Vampire. The Tunnan was a particular delight, as it is the first time that it has ventured away from Sweden since its re-build and is the first time in many a long year that a J-29 has appeared at a British airshow. Completing the Scandinavian theme was Anders Saether's Historic Flight from Halmstad, Sweden, returning with its A-26 Invader and P-51D Mustang.
The first production version was the J-29A, with a total of 224 being built - this was followed by the J-29B, which was fitted with extra fuel tanks in the wings, increasing its fuel capacity by fifty percent. It also was fitted with stores pylons for bombs and rockets, allowing it to be used in the attack role. Following this was the S-29C, a reconnaissance version featuring a modified nose, with a flat bottom and straight sides, accommodating five cameras of various sorts.
The last variant was the J-29F, which featured the afterburning Ghost engine, the dogtooth wing and the capability to carry a pair of US-designed AIM-9B Sidewinder heat-seeking air-to-air missiles, built by SAAB under license as the 'Rb-24'. All J-29Fs were updates of existing Tunnan fighter airframes, no new ones being constructed. SE-DXB (c/n 29670) was delivered to F9 in April 1955 as a J-29E and modified to 'F standard in 1956. Its last flight with the Swedish Air Force as a front-line fighter took place on 30 July 1968 after 1,195 total flying hours. In 1970 the aircraft was transferred to the Swedish Air Force museum in Malmslaett and stored in a hangar for some twenty years. On 12 July 1991 retired Brigadier General Bertil Bjaere and two other members of F10 visited the museum to see if a J-29 could be refurbished to flying condition. On inspection 29670 was returned to Ängelholm on 8 May 1991 for the work to begin. The fully rebuilt fighter took to the air again on 11 July 1995, nick-named 'Yellow Rudolf'. It has been registered as SE-DXB on the Swedish civilian register that enables it to operate more easily overseas.
A wonderful setting for the airshow, St Aubin's Bay is the central part of Jersey's south coast, having a long sweep of unbroken soft, golden sandy beach from St Helier harbour to St Aubin's harbour. Only the highest of tides covers the beach - south facing, it is in full sun along virtually its entire length from sunrise to sunset, being very sheltered from prevailing westerly and easterly winds. Dominating the backdrop is Elizabeth Castle, named after the queen by Sir Walter Raleigh when he was governor, which was constructed in 1593 to counter the threat of the Spanish and the French. Although
the bay and castle form the backdrop for the flying display, the aviation
enthusiasts of Jersey prefer to spend their time at the airport, where
the aircraft for both Jersey and Guernsey's displays spend most of their
time. The States of Jersey's airport opened in 1937 with four grass runways,
the longest being 2,940 feet with a concrete centreline. Concrete taxiways
were added during the Second World War occupation by the Luftwaffe, which
also built hangars, one of which is still in existence across the road
from the present flying club site. In 1952 a 4,200 feet tarmac runway
was opened and the grass strips closed. The runway has been lengthened
several times over the years, reaching its current length in 1976. The
original 1937 terminal was extended in 1976 and again in 1997. With the
helpful co-operation of the airport While the warm September sun ensured 2006 was a year to enjoy, a stiff cross-wind prevented the Battle of Britain Flight from taking off on the day. Let's hope next year's airshow on Thursday 13th brings a return for some 'heavy metal' - maybe, just maybe, that big tin triangle we mentioned last year…
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Home | Airshows | The Hangar | Nostalgia | Links |